Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Plan, Part 1

Hilary asked if I could post my training schedule on the blog. I can do that, but it's not all that special. But maybe posting a weekly schedule of events will help keep me in the blogging arena, since school has been in session for a whole two weeks and I'm already swamped.

My main goal right now is the Leadville Marathon at the end of June. It's a trail marathon, and I've never run on trails before. It's also a mountain marathon, and I've never run up a mountain before.



This is obviously going to take some work. Right now, the tentative plan is to train for the Flying Pig in May. That will get my mileage back up, since I spent November and most of December limiting "long runs" to 5-6 miles. I'll be using the FIRST program again, like I did for Air Force. I like only running three times a week. Husband and I exercise together in the evenings, and I really value that time, so 3 runs a week lets me fit all of that stuff in, too. Right now, the schedule looks like this:

Monday: Insanity
Tuesday: Speedwork (AM), Weights (PM)
Wednesday: Insanity
Thursday: Tempo Run (AM), Weights (PM)
Friday: Yoga
Saturday: Long Run
Sunday: Rest

Pretty much the same as it did leading up to Air Force. I like the Insanity discs because they're really intense cardio, which is what the FIRST training plan calls for. We'll continue to use the P90X discs for weight training and yoga.

I'll start doing some trail running in the spring (which calls for new shoes!) and then really hit the hills after the Pig, which leaves me with 8 weeks before Leadville. I think I can make it with a good mileage level and a strong cardio base. Here's to hoping!

I'll post the actual miles and paces associated with my running days once I put my calendar back together. It's all screwy because I started and stopped training for the DC marathon, so I'll start fresh on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment