Thursday, November 10, 2011

Ah, Winter

I go through this cycle every year - even before I was a runner, whose sport required exercising out in the elements. I get so excited when spring comes, because that means that the short and cold winter days are coming to an end and summer is right around the corner. Then summer comes, and I enjoy the first few weeks of upper 70s/low 80s temperatures... and then all of a sudden it's 95 degrees with 90% humidity and I'm all WTFFFFF?? It's tooooooo hot!! I want to sit in the air conditioned house and watch X-Files reruns alllllllllll day. But I don't, and C and I go sweat along with Tony Horton in our basement. I get up ass-early on Saturdays for my long training runs. Really early - I leave my house by 5:00 so that I can be home and showered before the oppressive humidity settles in. I resign myself to the Dreadmill in the steamy evenings. And I curse the summer and it's sun and heat and dampness, and say that I can't wait for the weather to turn cooler.

Then Fall comes around and it's such a cool, dry relief. I enjoy being outside and running without feeling like my lungs are going to implode. The basement temperature is perfect for evening workouts. The Dreadmill stands alone and lonely. All is right with the world. The leaves start to change color and provide a beautiful backdrop for early morning runs. Here in Cincinnati, that lasts maybe two weeks, and then one morning you wake up and *BAM* it's 27 degrees, and I'm all WTFFFFFF? It's tooooooooo cold!! I want to curl up on the couch with a blanket and hot chocolate and watch football all day. But I don't. There are few things worse than dragging yourself out of your nice and toasty bed to put on running pants and force yourself out into the cold, cold world.

How many days until spring?

No comments:

Post a Comment